Monday 11 October 2010

Haydock, Nr Wigan

Alan: Occupation: Truck Driver. Age: 37
In his own words.

I was returning home on the M6 from Birmingham, at 2.30AM in an ERF artic.
As I had delivered the load, I put my foot down a bit to get home. The motorway was dead quiet.
As I approached the Haydock slip road, near Wigan. I noticed very bright lights in my rear view mirrors. They were dazzling me and I started to curse out loud. "Either pass me or **** off!"
In case it was a police car, I slowed to 40mph expecting them to pass me, but the lights still stayed behind me. I got a little panicky, as I couldn’t see what type of vehicle was following me so I speeded up again, the lights matched my speed.
I decided to come off the motorway at the Wigan turn off instead of Standish as I felt a little nervous in case whoever was following me was thieves or whatever. As I turned down the slip road for Wigan, the lights began to speed up and then were right up to the back of my trailer. I thought they were going to ram me. When all of a sudden-the lights lifted up and moved over the top of me! I was shitting myself! I braked heavily and saw a smallish object fly over my cab! It was unbelievable!
It happened so fast I didn’t manage to get a good look at it, but I can tell you, that it was no bigger than a small car and appeared to be shaped like a missile with lights everywhere. It was completely silent and rapidly vanished.
I stopped on the slip road hard shoulder to compose myself then after a short while made my way to Standish via the A roads.
I’ve not a clue what it could have been and since then I’ve been afraid of using the M6 motorway.
I was never a nervous type as you meet all sorts as a lorry driver, but I am now a bit worried of driving at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment